My (American) Mother’s Day highlights:
- Being woken by the sweet singing of “Yankee doodle went to town, riding on a pony, put a feather in his hat and called it macapony”.
- “Look mummy, my flower. It’s mine”. Wee man not getting the concept of mother’s day.
- “You are doing really well using the chopsticks to get the scrambled eggs” Sharing mother’s day breakfast with Wee Man with a highly unhelpful utensil.
- Many baby cuddles with Wee Flo – I’d forgotten that a newborn’s skin really is that soft.
- The following conversation:
Daddy: What are you doing?
Wee Man: Thinking
Daddy: What about?
Wee Man: Treats
A minute later
Wee Man: I’m just thinking
Daddy: About what?
Wee Man: About you and me. And we’re eating.
There’s only one thing on our boy’s mind: food.
- So he fits into our family then – with smoked salmon, hot dogs, milkshakes, wonderful curry, lime soaked strawberries and white chocolate mousse – I’ve been spoilt today.
- Also, the usual changing of many nappies, up several times in the night, washing clothes, constant toddler cajoling to do anything, and a brief interlude where we all slept for 2 hours.
I am grateful for being part of all these things today, but mainly, for just for being a mother.
I feel very blessed.